Home to some of the nation’s most prominent healthcare systems, banking institutions, insurance and other professional services, Northeast Ohio is progressively establishing itself as a financial technology (fintech) hub. To that end, the region boasts more than 6,500 finance and insurance establishments, employing some 68,000 workers. Representatives from across Ohio recently had the opportunity to showcase the State’s innumerable fintech assets as a delegation attended Money 20/20, the world’s largest payments and financial services innovation event.
Held in Las Vegas from October 23 – 26, Money 20/20 drew 10,000+ attendees from 75 countries. Ohio’s delegation, which included representatives from JobsOhio, Team NEO, Columbus 2020 and REDI Cincinnati, used the occasion to highlight the benefits of doing business in Ohio. Home to the 6th largest financial services sector in the country at $50 billion, Ohio is indeed a fintech powerhouse.
Northeast Ohio Assets:
With an impressive roster of headquarters, major banking, insurance and professional service operations, one of Northeast Ohio’s greatest fintech strengths lies in its direct access to customers. Home to 20 Fortune 1000 companies, our region offers great potential as a prime market for fintech products and services.
Just as Northeast Ohio offers access to an essential customer base, it also provides a direct pipeline to needed fintech talent. As fintech companies look to hire the best and brightest, they have a wealth of talent to pull from right here in Northeast Ohio. In fact, there are 15,800 annual graduates in computer-related fields within 200 miles of Northeast Ohio. As the fintech sector continues to grow, access to our region’s talent pool will become even more important.
Fintech Companies in NEO:
Given the region’s many fintech-related strengths, it is not surprising that a number of fintech companies have already laid down roots in Northeast Ohio. Below are a few examples of the many fintech companies located in our 18-county footprint.
- Big River Online – Cloud-based fundraising software for non-profits.
- BuyerQuest – Electronic procurement for the buying process.
- CardinalCommerce – Authenticated payments, secure transactions and alternative payment brands.
- eCollect – Offers payments intelligence, recovery, and automation solutions.
- ExpenseBot – Automated expense reporting software.
- GradSchoolLoans – Helps medical residents and fellows save time and money for medical student loans.
- MedData – Internet-based prescription assistance program.
- Segmint – Technology platform that leverages consumer data to help marketers target their audience and deliver message across mobile, web, and more.
- SherWare – Oil and gas accounting software.
As the region enhances its reputation as a fintech hub, we’re likely to see our roster of fintech companies continue to expand in the years ahead. To learn more about the region’s fintech-related strengths, please follow the links below.