Regional Innovation Clusters
In the region’s economic development ecosystem, Team NEO is taking the lead in targeting regional innovation clusters. Team NEO’s Innovation Clusters Team uses its industry expertise to provide companies, academic and research institutions with opportunities to collaborate and take advantage of new technologies that build on the industrial, organizational and workforce strengths of the region.
Team NEO currently focuses its innovation efforts on Smart Devices & Systems, Additive Manufacturing and Energy Storage. While we are dedicated to growing these clusters, we are constantly scanning for other emerging technology opportunities in the region, as Team NEO serves as the driver for the region’s economic competitiveness strategy.
Cluster Core Competencies
Team NEO’s Innovation Clusters Team uses its industry expertise to assist companies in new business development through innovation of new products, markets, processes and business models. Our value proposition to cluster members focuses on facilitating “Seeker – Solver” networks, in which we fill innovation gaps identified by driver industry market leaders by matching them with small/mid-size technology companies. We also assist in building out competitive regional supply chains, assemble cluster building project teams, identify and solicit federal, state, and local funding, brand and market the cluster, generate “knowledge building” events and tools, conduct technology scouting, and deliver “member customized” market research & analysis.
Team NEO has adopted the Brookings Institution’s definition of
clusters, which describes them as “geographic concentrations of interconnected businesses, suppliers, service providers and associated institutions in a particular
Clusters are geographically concentrated groups that provide a powerful strategic framework for regional economic growth. Their popularity in economic development is fairly recent, but is based on a long history of research in industrial organization and economic competitiveness.
We promote the development of regional innovation clusters in Northeast Ohio to diversify and strengthen an economy hit hard by the decline of manufacturing and economic recession.
Cluster development targets the entire value chain from fundamental research to final production. It also recognizes the supporting role of associated stakeholders, such as governments, economic development organizations and the media, and their contributions to the success of a cluster.
Organizing economic development policy and practice around clusters allows for addressing fundamental challenges in a regional economy. Thinking and acting as a cluster:
- Responds to the needs of an entire region and has a powerful impact on multiple companies.
- Encourages interactions and synergies among firms that lead to regional growth.
- Drives productivity and innovation.
- Enables companies to transact business more efficiently, share technologies and knowledge more readily, operate more flexibly, start new businesses more easily, and perceive and implement
innovations more rapidly.
- Gives companies greater ease of access to pools of skilled employees, specialized infrastructure,
technological knowledge, investment capital and funding opportunities.
- Helps a region create new job opportunities and transition from unemployment or underemployment to high-skilled, high-wage jobs.
- Develops regional business opportunities that are less susceptible to off-shoring.
- Engages and stabilizes diverse communities by re-purposing idle assets and human capital.
To learn more about the Cleveland Plus region’s emerging technologies and clusters, please visit the Team NEO website and/or contact:
Senior Vice President, Industry and Innovation